Today I am linking up to Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop. Here’s the prompt:
5. What grade is your child going to be in? Share a memory you have of yourself at that same age.
Christopher is starting kindergarten in a couple of weeks. Here’s a picture of me at that age.
What I remember about my kindergarten year:
- My teacher was Mrs. Yourg, I think.
- We had cubbies for our school supplies and hooks along the wall of closets with these weird rotating closet doors.
- The classroom was laid out like this:
- There was an “L” and an “R” up on the left and right of the bulletin board across the top of the chalk board. I definitely learned right from left that year, and I still sometimes close my eyes and visualize that board if I have a moment of confusion.
- When you learned how to tie your shoes, you got your name on a shoe shaped paper that hung in the hall outside of the classroom. I took me a long time to get my name in the hall.
- For some reason our classroom had a single bathroom off of it, but we’d still take group trips to the bathrooms down the hall at fixed times during the day.
- While waiting in the line to go back to the classroom after using the bathrooms, someone said, “She cut me” (or “He cut me”) and my teacher freaked out thinking someone was actually cut when in fact someone had just cut that person in line. (This may have been from 1st or 2nd grade, I’m not exactly sure.)
- During carpet time, we’d often sing “Black Cat, Black Cat, what do you see?” etc.
- We had rest time, and I never fell asleep. I remember being so jealous of the kids that did fall asleep because they got to miss a little bit of the afternoon lessons.
- A boy in my sister’s kindergarten class across the hall, broke some bones in his body and had a practically full body cast. His parents brought him in in a wagon each morning.
- The Challenger exploded while we watched it on TV at school.
This list is pretty random. I know. I wish I could remember more.
I look forward to Christopher building his own memories this year.
What do you remember from kindergarten?